Thursday, September 25, 2008

Simple is better?

I was reading the article, "A Word in Your Ear, Keep It Slow and Simple", about simplify English. I am not proud but I have always been using simple English because English is my second language and I live in non-English speaking country for many years. It is actually not professional in business letter but the massage was delivered. A lot of time we spend a lot of time trying to reword the business letter to make it looks more professional. But most of business people are too busy to write in formal way and email language became simple and colloquial. My English is not improving even though English is the main language in my company. Often I have about 30 to 100 or more email per day and time is limited. The people I write to are from different countries, both English and non-English speaking countries but mainly internal contacts. Then I realized my English is getting worst or shall I say “simplified. Often we would joke how we use email as “instant massaging” these days now. We just want to have our message crossed and have the job done efficiently.

Usually the formal business letters were used for PR, external communication letter, announcement and invitation letters, etc. Business letters used to be formal and occasional. With the technology changes, communication became casual and frequent. It is still important for the choice of words but isn’t the meaning of writing is have the massage crossed.

Basically communication skill is the key point. A lot of comsumer complain the difficulty to understand manual or instructions for products. That would be bad example of consumer communication. Therefore instead of concerntrate on how to write properly, more should be on passing the right message to the target customers.

No comments: