Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Blog

Blog is not new to me; I have been keeping a personal blog for about two years. It all started when I was new to Shanghai and not knowing a lot of people locally. Blog became one of the communication channels or it is like some kind of diary. Like talking to a friend but I didn't have to repeat the same story to everyone. In a way, my friends everywhere could have a idea of how I was doing, if they want to know. But when all became too personal and to avoid co-worker to peek into too many detail of my life, it was archieved and another blog were set up. Now it became some kind of private space.

Blog is very personal for me, which is like a place to dump all the emotion and express my feeling. Study shows that women handle their stress by talking to someone else. But often it would be hard to find someone willing to listen or to whom we feel comfortable talking.

There is one online study shows people who blog tend to be more depressed and the main function of blog is for venting. I think it is only partially true and bias. Many blog were keeping for information sharing or networking which is also the new business marketing trend. I think it is a good place to express personal opinion to public without going through media. It is also surprise to find many good articles on blog and some even became famous blog writers then publish books. Another benefit is not only we can see the article from the view of professional writers, we can also check out personal opinion. I guess this is where companies can look into as the “word of month” to market.

Blog is not only a place to “write” but also a place to connect. It is for friends to keep up with each other. It is also a place that strangers can meet. It is interesting that people can find others with same interest and opinion through blog. Therefore it became another type of networking.

Thanks to blog, I can always keep a smile on my face because all the other unwanted emotion were dumped at my secrete place. So regardless of the other benefit of blog, it will still be a “dumping tree” to me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't have blog now, used to have one, but not using it anymore, since I don't have time to update it. But I LOVE to read people's blogs. Especially I love to see my friends' photos on their blogs, since I don't see them that often. I love to read people's blogs to know their thoughts, it's like I don't need to e-mail or call them, but I could know what happened to them recently! I guess it is one of the best ways in the world today to "get connected" to the others.

Brian Xu said...

Hey,
I have an idea to setup a headhunting business to assist overseas Chinese people to move back and work. Due to recent credit crunch, lots of people in North America lost their jobs. There are many Chinese among them. Shall they move back and work in China, they can enjoy stronger economic growth, providing better career opportunities. In this case, there is market demand to this service.
In addition, international headhunting firms are not well communicated among different geographical locations, leading to little help for relocation job hopping. We can well leverage our local knowledge in both North America and China to launch the business.
Marketing channels are mainly through website, business school newsletter, alumni activities. These methods are mainly internet driven.
Do you have any thoughts, please let me know.