Saturday, September 20, 2008

How internet changed our life?

My Internet connection was off and I was frustrated. Internet is the main communication channel I have with my family and friends in the world. Therefore I feel disconnected when I can’t get on Internet.

Internet made the world seem smaller but also made our personal world smaller. People can easily chat online or pass on the information therefore the social life seems
unnecessary now. People go out less and there is less face to face interaction. We can purchase things online and most of business can be done online. I remember an ad about a girl never go out of her house because of the shopping website therefore the only way for the boy who likes her to talk to her is online. I wonder what the world will become if we only stay at home and connect the world online only.

I hope and I know it won’t happen because we all love socializing and going out. We all enjoy a good dinner at restaurant with someone we love. Traveling and seeing places with your own eyes is different from seeing the photo on the internet.


Internet suppose to make life easier and better because people can be reached easier and communication is a lot better. Therefore the distance between people should be shorter now. But lot of time we find ourselves busier because technology makes the life faster. At my work, I would be working with co-workers located all over Asia Pacific and sometimes I have to work late to reach co-workers in North America. Because of technology, there is no more excuse for delay and things get delivered.

People everywhere are either on the phone, sending text message or reading email on blackberry. Technology is part of our life now and it is harder to have life / work balance. To catch up with the speed of technology, everyone is rushing. It is ironic that with blackberry you can actually "work" outside of office. There should be less overtime because you can check email everywhere. But then you would be working all the time, isn't it? It is actually good or bed would depend on the perception.

I wonder how our life will become with rapid change of technology….

No comments: